Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why no pictures of people?

By now, Gentle Reader, if you've spent any time at all looking over this blog, you may be saying to yourself, Rita, I am thoroughly convinced that Buenos Aires is a place of culture, deep intrigue, and true beauty, but hey? Isn't this supposed to be a city? So, where are all the people?

Well, you would be right, so ever, ever, right, and my only defense is that I have no gift for taking photographs of people. I'm not terribly comfortable with it-- I don't like having a camera stuck in my face, and therefore I don't like doing it to other people. So I'm always shooting on the run, trying to do it in such a way that they don't notice I'm snapping them.

But even if I could get over that social prohibition, the simple fact is, I suck at the art of the action shot. I am so, so very much better at taking photos of stuff that stands perfectly still. Like doors. And statues. And graffiti. And boxes of fruit. You get the idea...

That notwithstanding, I've made a vow to myself to try to capture a few candid shots of the beautiful, cosmopolitan Porteños to make this blog complete.

For now, here are a few shots of folks, just to give you a glimmer of an idea that people actually do live in this town.
~~~
Action shot!
Soldiers on their way to changing of the guard down by the presidential palace. With random girl.
Night shot of our favorite café, Liber.
I can't really even nail a shot of two people who clearly want to have their picture taken. What's wrong with me?!?!
Um, you can say that this is a picture of a girl, but we all know what I was really getting at here...
My one true good shot of street life here in BsAs, how many hundreds of photos later?

No comments:

Post a Comment